The formal inauguration of the GAP Micro Finance Services Ltd took place on 17th February 2014 at the Jubilee House. The ceremony was led by the Chairperson of Presbytery, the Rev. Dr. Godwin Nii Noi Odonkor. He welcomed members and invited Mr. James Odei, an advisor to the Board, to give a brief highlight of the company on behalf of the Board. He talked about the processes the board had gone through to bring the company thus far. He thanked all who helped to make it happen.
Mr. Odei informed the gathering that the Board was made up of the following members:
- Mr. J. N. B. Tetteh – Chairman
- Mr. Joshua Sackey – Secretary
- Rev. Dr. B. Y. Quarshie – Member
- Mrs. Regina Mensah-Onumah – Member
- Mrs. Beatrice Odonkor – Member
Mr. James Odei and Rev. Onyameba Boafo were advisors to the Board.
The Chairperson introduced the Company Manager, Mr. Frederick Akrofi Smart Abbey, who in turn introduced the rest of the staff members as follows:
- Mr. Theophilus Dongotey – Accountant
- Mr. Francis Dwamena Boadu – Credit Officer
- Mr. John Oware – Teller/Cashier
After the introductions, the Chairperson gave an exhortation, based on Mt. 25:24-28 the parable of the talents. He pointed out that in teaching about the prudent use of gifts, Jesus used money and gave credence to banking. He said the GAP Micro Finance will be a place where Christian ethics will be used to “turn money around”. He reiterated that through the company, individuals will find their joy in life again as they are saved from the “Shylocks” of the corporate world. He thanked God for using the Presbytery for such a beginning and thanked God for the Board and advisors who “midwifed” the process.
Mr. J. N. B. Tetteh added that the GAP Micro Finance was a dream come true and challenged the stake holders to see to it that it is run as a Ministry of God. He mentioned that 12 congregations have been selected to pilot programme. Some of the congregations are:
- Victory Congregation – Fafraha District
- Immanuel Congregation – Madina District
- Ebenezer Congregation – Osu District
- Peniel Congregation – Teshie District
- Kaneshie Congregation – Kaneshie District
- Prince of Peace Congregation – Tema Comm. 2 District
- Trinity Congregation – Tema Comm. 4 District
- Bethel Congregation – La District
He asked for prayers to support the programme. The Chairperson led the guests in a short prayer session after which the grace was shared.